Stop drinking the Sterno!!!!!

 Stop drinking the Sterno!!!!!

Oh, the things we take for granted.  The things we know that we think are common knowledge but are NOT.  “Kids these days they don’t know ……..” Fill in the blank with anything from the vice president’s name to balancing a checkbook.  “They just don’t teach, the schools don’t, parents, …”  The list is endless. 

But what, when, and how did you learn?

Who taught you how to put gas in the car?  Was there a class when it’s switched from pay inside to pay at the pump?  What class had a test on reading a bank statement, filling out a W2, or doing your taxes?  There wasn’t a teacher there to show me how to open my locker, tie my shoes, or put groceries in a bag. 

We all get dressed (most of the time), feed ourselves, and go to the bathroom.  These are things done without much thought on the how.  Yet, we all had to be taught.  We learned through watching, our parents, others around us, and life in general.

True story-

New Year’s Eve and I decided that fondue would be a good idea.  I had the cheese, the wine, bread, assorted vegetables, and even ham. The pot (that was a wedding gift 15 years earlier) had been pulled from the depths of the cupboard, dusted, washed, and put together.  All the guests would be arriving within the hour.

Showered, dressed, and the house was clean.  All was right with the world.  Except…… that’s right, I forgot the Sterno.  No problem, quick run to the grocery store.

 The place is packed.  Everyone decided to go shopping tonight.  It wasn’t even snowing.  What the hell people.  Quickly made my way to the appropriate aisle, with no stereo.  I stopped the stocking boy (emphasis on BOY) he had no idea what stereo was.  After some explanation, he directed me to the charcoal aisle.  Rolling my eyes, I said oooook and went to look. 

After fighting my way out of the store empty-handed, I tried the next store.  Again, I asked for help.  Again, the person had no idea what stereo was.   At the third store, the question was once again asked.  This time the person wanted to know if Sterno was a vitamin.

“You have got to be kidding me.  No, it’s the can used to keep a chaffing dish warm/hot.”

The blank look of utter confusion. Chaffing dish was an unknown term as well.

“NEVER mind.  I’ll find it myself.”                       No luck

On my way to the 4th store, I called home to make sure my husband would let the guest in.  They had already arrived.  Perfect. 

Muttering to myself and mentally figuring out what to do if this, the last store possible, also didn’t have a stereo.   Resolved to not ask this time I again made my way to the appropriate aisle.  And there it was.  A three-pack of dusty cans was ready and waiting for me to take home.

The party was great, the cheese (in case you didn’t know what fondue was) stayed warm and wonderful.  The joke of the night became “don’t drink the Sterno.”  Several days later I was reminded that stereo used to be more liquid than the jell it is now, and people did drink it.  They also drank rubbing alcohol. 

Things change.  Things are forgotten.  When was the last time it was faster to walk to a friend’s house than to call them since they had too many 9s in their number? (Rotary dial phones with cords connected to the wall.)

You didn’t always know what you know now.  What common thing can you show someone else how to do? But please don’t drink the Sterno.

Comments

  1. I confess, I also did not know what Sterno was and had to google it! and now I'm craving fondue....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment