Boredom Really??????

 


How can you, as an adult, be bored?  You are an adult. You oversee your life. You are in charge.  You get to choose what you do and not to do.  That doesn’t mean that doing what you have to do isn’t boring.  But with the time that is yours, you get to decide.

I understand being bored at work.  Doing the same stuff all the time gets monotonous. I understand being bored at school.  Lots of subjects are not that interesting to most of us.  Several subjects don’t have any obvious real-life application.  So, you sit there while your mind floats off to whatever you do find interesting.  You can be bored with a particular task. Nothing is exciting about washing the dishes or laundry.  But how can you be bored overall? 

I have met several people that have said they couldn’t possibly stay home for days on end they would just be way too bored.  They have nothing to do.  I have met several people that never take a vacation because they are afraid, they’ll be bored if they must sit on the beach or stay home for too many days in a row.   How is this possible?  Is your work life that wonderful?  If so, good for you.

Go mountain climbing, deep sea fishing, explore a new culture or a million other things on vacation.  They say when you retire so have to retire to something.  That you are retiring from your current day job to go do something else.  I have known many people that have retired and after a short amount of time went back to work.  They were bored, with nothing to do. Was it really that they had nothing to do, or did they simply lack the desire to find something new?

How is it possible to have nothing to do?  Please someone tell me how they reached this stage in life.  I would like to know how you can wake up in the morning and legit have nothing to do.  Not just a day with no plans or anything that has to be done right away.  But, to truly have nothing to do.  (Eating and breathing do not count) To truly have no desire to at least google for a new hobby, volunteer, or call a friend.

I look around my house and there are so many things to do.  I have so many projects that I haven’t even begun to start yet.  Let’s not forget home improvements and general maintenance.  That doesn’t even take into consideration all the personal projects I want to do just because I think they would be fun to do.  Plus, my reading list is ever-growing.  There is always something to organize, throw out, and clean, ……  Not to mention all the things I need to look up, research, find out, and do on the Internet.  

There is so much out there and so much you can do for free or very low cost with just scraps you already have.  Get in your car and only take the left turns.  Even if you have lived where you are your whole life you are bound to find something.  Are you bored or have you lost the inclination to live?

Cabin fever is not boredom.  We all have to get out, breathe different air, stretch our legs, and interact with people.   We all need to have contact with the world we live in. But cabin fever is not being boarded with life.  It is the exact opposite.  It is the desire to get out and try new things.  To keep living, exploring, and expanding.

It’s like I tell my employees when I see them sitting around; clean something, fix something, learn something, talk to someone. 

There is so much to do and it doesn’t require you to even get off the couch to do it. You will have to turn off the tv and apply some effort.  There is no reason to be bored. 

Comments