Old Habits Die Hard


Old habits die hard.  You can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Set in our ways.  We are who we are. But the only constant, is change.

I have recently partially moved 2000 miles from my house.  It is only a partial move since the house is the main place of residence and the apartment 2000 miles away is temporary. (Yes, 2 to 3 years is what I call temporary) It occurred to me, as I frantically add stuff to the amazon cart for the apartment, how nuts this all is.  But probably not in the way you are thinking.

At home, I have tons of stuff to do.  Tons of stuff to take care of.  Tons of stuff clean.  At home, I am doing all I can to get rid of as much stuff as possible.  At times all the stuff is suffocating. There is too much stuff.  Too much to maintain.  Too much distraction from what I want to be doing.  Too much, too much.  I cannot wait to finally purge all of it. 

I was looking forward to being here in the apartment with nothing.  Nothing to take care of, maintain, clean, or distract.  I was hoping to finally be free of the stuff and get to do what it is I want to do.   But why then am I on Amazon buying all the stuff? 

I say it is to be comfortable. I need the stuff to do this or that or to hide the dreadful institutional beige walls. Wouldn’t it be nice to have, and wouldn’t it be easier if?  No, no it would not.  I finally have the minimalist surrounding I am working so hard to accomplish at home.

Why then I am so willing to destroy what I have been working so hard for?

Part of it might be making a new home.  Part of it might be comforted.  The part might be avoidance.  The part might be a habit. Part filling a hole.  Part of trying not to be sad.  Part because it is easier to maintain stuff than fix me.   It is all of that and more.  

Even as I click stuff into the cart for free delivery, I am taking stock of all the stuff that is not returning to my house.  I have a running list in my head of the stuff that will be left behind.  I know the number of boxes that are already gone.  I have plans for getting rid of more.   I am finding a sense of pride, and accomplishment at all the stuff I have purged from the house, while I fill the apartment.

I relish the simplicity of the minimal stuff.  How easy it is to have space.  All the empty cupboards, the lack of useless items to dust, items to stall the next steps I want to take. But that lamp shade isn’t quite right, this chair could use another pillow, what about matching hand towels?  What if I need….  What if there is a dinner party, or extra guest or…

There is comfort in stuff, in surrounding ourselves with pretty, soft, sparkly, new things.  There is joy in the Christmas morning effect of a new package on the front porch. But it is fleeting.  It all ends up in a box to be purged.

Old habits die hard.

Comments